7.20.2008

Eyes Closed Monsters: 0003

Eyes-closed drawings among my friends and I were born almost a decade ago when Rhymi and I used to spend a lot of time coming up with 'games' to play with a paper and pen at Kerbey Lane or Flipnotics. We had lots of games, but a favorite was "close your eyes and draw ________". Sometimes we would do it with people we knew and then try to guess at who the other person had drawn. But generally, bugs and monsters were the biggest hits. Years went by and I would occasionally think to ask people to close their eyes and draw me a monster. Eventually I decided it would be a good art project and got dozens of submissions from friends and my (then) new coworkers at BookPeople. Sadly, I never did anything with all of the drawings other than love the hell out of them. Now I want you to love them too. And, ideally, this will spawn an eyes-closed monsters boom. Cory made me a button of his eyes closed monsty, and all of them just beg for stuffed animal adaptations. The spirit of eyes-closed monsters if mos def 'open source', so if you have any great ideas for these guys: do it!

And if you draw a monster with your eyes closed, please email me your drawing and I'll put it up, and maybe someday get a tattoo of it or something.


What I like about this monster is that even though it's eyes-closed and all, anyone who knows Rebekah Ross well would be able to tell you it was hers immediately. Her drawing style, even blind, is inimitable and amazing. I still have a drawing she made 8 years ago of 'renegade teddy bears' hanging on my wall. Amazing! Another thing I like about this monster is that it's face is on it's neck. Scary!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home